To prescribe the rules for removing the 1500V supply in life-threatening situations, emergency situations or when urgent engineering work is necessary in the Network.
Unless they are told otherwise by an Electrical Representative, people in the vicinity of or near electrical equipment, wiring and infrastructure must treat it as live.
The 1500V supply must be removed only in accordance with the requirements specified in the Maintenance Representative’s Electrical Safety Instructions.
Preservation of human life must take priority over operational considerations.
In life-threatening situations, rescue operations must not be attempted before the Electrical System Operator says that it is safe to do so.
Removing 1500V supply
The Electrical System Operator and affected Network Controller must:
- agree about the timing, and the extent of the 1500V overhead wiring sections to be isolated
- together with affected Signallers, coordinate removal of the 1500V supply.
Signallers must tell Drivers and affected parties about the affected portions of track.
In life-threatening circumstances, the Electrical System Operator may remove the 1500V supply before telling the Network Controller.
Applying blocking facilities
Signallers must prevent rail traffic from entering the isolated 1500V overhead wiring sections by:
- setting signals at STOP, and
- applying blocking facilities in accordance with NSG 614 Blocking facilities, and
- making sure that protection has been applied to prevent entry by way of unsignalled routes.
Restoring 1500V supply
The Electrical System Operator must coordinate restoration of the 1500V supply.
The 1500V supply must be restored in accordance with the requirements specified in the Maintenance Representative’s Electrical Safety Instructions.
The Electrical System Operator must tell the relevant Network Controllers when the 1500V supply has been restored.
Removing blocking facilities
If they are not needed to protect other work in the affected 1500V overhead wiring sections, Signallers must:
- remove blocking facilities
- tell the Network Controller.