To prescribe the rules for walking safely in the Danger Zone.
The Danger Zone is all space within 3m horizontally from the nearest rail and any distance above or below this 3m, unless a safe place exists or can be created.
A safe place can be created by using stationary rail traffic, where an assurance that the rail traffic will not be moved has been obtained in person from the Driver or Track Vehicle Operator.
FIGURE 1: Workers in safe places
Walking in the Danger Zone is:
- walking from place to place in the Danger Zone, and
- doing no work other than placing or removing protection.
Workers must not walk in the Danger Zone unless:
- an easily‑reached safe place is available, and
- there is no practicable alternative.
Rail traffic can approach from either direction at any time.
If walking in the Danger Zone, workers must:
- wear approved high‑visibility clothing, and
- look frequently in both directions for approaching rail traffic, and
- carry a light at night, in tunnels, and when visibility is limited, and
- not step on or within points.
Placing or removing protection
If placing or removing protection, workers must stay alert for approaching rail traffic.